We're all sick--so why not create art about it?
NYMBM is currently seeking submissions for "Mental Health Month." This will be our third month-long special edition and will take place in January 2019. We're looking for work that offers personal insight on the often stigmatized topic of mental health. We want your essays, fiction, poetry, visual art, and any other medium you can throw at us. The good, the bad, and the sometimes, just plain sad--your voice and unique perspective have a place with us.
Our month will focus a spotlight on mental health issues and create a community of work that reflects the voices of those who may feel unheard. Maybe you aim to inform. Maybe you just want to want to make fun of yourself. Or maybe you want to rant on why struggling with what you do just fucking blows sometimes. We're fine with any of that. We want a collection. Give us what you got, and together we'll show people that it's okay to be a little sick. Or a lot sick. We'll leave that up to you.
Written Work Guidelines:
- File Type: Please submit as a .doc file.
- Please specify which genre your piece is in the heading
- Please only use DOUBLE SPACED Times New Roman or Courier New fonts
- Word Count: 5,500 words max (less than 500 over wont get you rejected)
- If submitting poetry, please do not submit more than three poems
- Please have a heading on the first page which states (at least) your name and word count
- Please have your pages numbered
- No reprints please!
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. They are actually enouraged. Get your work out there! You're great. Just let us know if your submission was accepted elsewhere, so we can congratulate you ASAP!